The Ontario Trillium Scholarship (OTS) is exclusive to full-time international students starting a research-based PhD program and is valued at $40,000 annually. The scholarship began as Ontario government’s initiative to attract more of the best qualified international students to Ontario for their PhD studies. Recipients must be intending to pursue full-time graduate studies at the doctoral level in a degree granting program.
|Level: Postgraduate||Institution(s): The University of Waterloo, University of Ottawa and Universities in Ontario region|
|Location: Canada||Field(s): Any field|
|Target: All||Deadline(s): Not specified|
The scholarship position is highly competitive; at The University of Waterloo, each Faculty nominates two students for Fall admission and then the Faculty Associate Deans meet to select six awardees.
To be considered for the award, candidates must:
• be international students who hold a valid Canadian study permit and who do not qualify for an exemption to the higher international tuition and fees per the fee schedule;
• be intending to pursue full-time graduate studies at the doctoral level in a degree granting program at an eligible Ontario university;
• have achieved a first-class average in each of the two years of full-time study prior to being awarded the OTS;
• NOT have completed a previous degree at an Ontario post-secondary institution at the undergraduate or graduate level immediately prior to being admitted to the PhD program;
• NOT be receiving significant external sponsorships or scholarships (for example, in excess of $10,000)
How to Apply
The application process varies by institutions. However in most cases, Candidates are nominated by their faculties and screened by a selection committee which recommends the final candidates for the scholarship. You are advised to check with the institution where you chose to study.
Please visit the official website found at the bottom of this article to access more information on how to apply for this scholarship.