The Amsterdam Merit Scholarship (AMS) is awarded by the University of Amsterdam (UvA) to bright students from all over the world. It is designed to attract the brightest minds from across the globe to the University’s international classrooms. The scholarship is for students outside the European Economic Area holding a non-EU/EEA passport.
||Level: Undergraduate, Postgraduate, Masters|||Institution(s): University of Amsterdam, Netherlands|
||Location: Europe,|||Field(s): Any|
||Target: All|||Deadline(s): 1 April / 1 August 2017|
The Amsterdam Merit Scholarship is collectively offered by the Ministry of Education, Culture and Science and the participating Dutch Universities. The scholarship can sometimes be supplemented with the Holland Scholarship of which University of Amsterdam is a participating member. About 120 Scholarships were awarded in the past with grants ranging €6,000 – €21,000 for different fields of study.
The UvA is highly selective of students for the AMS. Applicants are selected on the basis of academic merit,and letter of recommendation and motivation. Students would have to compete with the brightest minds from all the non-European Economic Area countries in Africa, Asia, Eastern Europe, Middles East, North America and others. This makes the scholarship as competitive as it is generous.
Students wishing to take part in the Amsterdam Merit Scholarship programme must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Hold a non-EU/non-EEA passport and not be eligible for support under the Dutch system of study grants and loans
- Be fully admitted to a degree programme at the University of Amsterdam.
- Be admitted to a Bachelor’s or Master’s programme at the UvA for the first time. AMS will not be awarded to candidates who are admitted for a second Bachelor’s or Master’s programme at UvA.
- Be able to comply with Dutch visa regulations (visit the IND website)
- Be enrolled at UvA as full-time student for the academic year and the programme for which the scholarship is awarded.
- The candidate should not receive a full coverage scholarship for the same period of study as the AMS scholarship. Notify the scholarships office when another full scholarship has been awarded and accepted
How to apply for the University of the West England Millennium scholarship
To be considered for the Amsterdam Merit scholarship, you must have been fully admitted to a degree program at UvA. Applications for the AMS scholarships are made directly to the Admissions Offices of the Graduate Schools. Hence, deadlines for the AMS differ per Faculty or Graduate School. Similarly there are specific requirements, selection criteria and application instructions for each Faculty and Graduate School. Applicants must contact the faculty or Graduate School offering the study programme of their choice for more information on the requirements. Kindly do so by clicking on the appropriate link below:
Note that the programme you wish to apply for might set extra requirements such as academic and language requirements. Please see the faculty information on the official website of each programme for more information.