This Doctoral Scholarship is offered by Kochi University of Technology (KUT) under its Special Scholarship Program (SSP). The scholarship is for research projects in the field of Engineering and targets international applicants. KUT aims to expand and deepen international ties with academic and educational institutions all over the world.
||Level: Graduate (PhD)|||Institution(s): Kochi University of Technology|
||Location: Japan|||Field(s): Engineering|
||Target: All|||Deadline(s): 17 Match, 16 September, 2017|
The SSP Program was established by Kochi University of Technology in 2003 in order to support the development of advanced research at the university through the contribution of highly capable doctoral students, especially from foreign countries. Every year in April and October, some selected doctoral students are enrolled to work on specific research projects.
Citizens of all countries are eligible to apply. The medium of study for the students is English (except for Japanese students) while at the same time they assist their host professors as a research assistant (RA). The scholarship features only doctoral level programs in the field of Engineering (leading to the award of the Dr. Eng. degree or Ph.D. degree depending on the research field).
Approximately 15 doctoral students are enrolled each year at KUT through the SSP Program. The Doctoral Program will last for three (3) years. Participants pursue their degree while at the same time assisting their host professors in their research projects and receiving monthly payment in return for contribution to the projects.
In terms of the main benefits, successful applicants will enjoy the following:
- Exemption from 30,000 yen entrance examination fee, 300,000 yen enrolment fee and 535,800 yen per year tuition fee
- 150,000 yen is provided for travel and initial living costs. This is given only to international applicants who are living outside Japan, and who have, or have the intention to acquire, “Student” status of Japanese residence at the time of entry into Japan.
- 150,000 yen per month is paid for research project work to support living expenses.
Applicants for the Kochi University of Technology Doctoral Scholarships are required to meet all of the following criteria:
- have high English proficiency
- have or be scheduled to acquire a master’s degree before the KUT enrolment date
- be 35 years old or under at the time of enrolment
- have an excellent academic record and strong bachelor’s and master’s degrees from reputable universities
- have the intention, adequate knowledge and research skill to work in one of the designated research projects
In addition, the scholars would be expected to work 50 hours per month for a specific research project at the university and research achievements to the dean of the Graduate School of Engineering at the end of each semester.
How to apply for the Kochi University of Technology Doctoral Scholarships
To apply for the Kochi University of Technology Doctoral Scholarships, applicants need to first choose one or two research project(s) from the SSP Research Project List and then complete and submit all required documents by post. Please refer to List for SSP Application Documents.
All applications must be concluded by mid-March or mid-September of each year. The deadline dates for the current session are September 16, 2016 and March 17, 2017.
You can visit the scholarship announcement page for further information on the KUT’s SSP opportunities.