The Heinrich Boll Foundation Scholarship is a yearly scholarship granted by the Heinrich Böll Foundation. The scholarship avails approximately 1,000 undergraduates, graduates, and doctoral students the opportunity to study any course with partner institutions.
||Level: Undergraduate, Postgraduate (Masters, PhD)|||Institution(s): Partner Institutions|
||Location: Germany, Switzerland, EU|||Field(s): All|
||Target: All|||Deadline(s): 1 September, 1 March, 2017|
Candidates from all countries of the world are welcome to apply for the Heinrich Boll Foundation Scholarship. They must be students who are pursuing their degree at universities, universities of applied sciences (‘Fachhochschulen’), or universities of the arts (‘Kunsthochschulen’) in Germany, Switzerland or member states of the EU. Selected priority fields include: Humanities and Social Science, Fine Arts and Cultural Studies, Economics, Law, Engineering, Media Science and Natural Science.
The Foundation campaigns for gender democracy, social emancipation, and equality between women and men. It is also committed to equality and social participation for cultural and ethnic minorities. Having in the past awarded scholarships mainly to students of the humanities, social sciences, art, and culture, the foundation is now, in addition, particularly interested in students of economics, law, engineering, science, mathematics, and journalism.
Approximately 1,000 (around 950 scholarships) are given every year – about 5/6 of them go to undergraduates and graduates and 1/6 to PhD students. The specific number has not been made public for this year. The Foundation awards complete scholarships to students, covering the complete duration of the undergraduate, Masters or Doctoral programme.
The following general requirements apply to international student applicants (except EU citizens) who wish to study in Germany:
- You must be enrolled at a state-recognized university or college (e.g. Fachhochschule) in Germany at the time the scholarship payments begin.
- You should provide proof that you have already graduated with an initial professional qualification. This programme mainly supports students aiming for a Masters degree.
- You need a good knowledge of German, and require you provide proof of your proficiency. Please note that the selection workshop (interviews, group discussions) will normally be in German. Exceptions (interview in English) are, however, possible.
- Unfortunately, the current guidelines specify that the foundation cannot support foreign scholarship holders for stays abroad in third countries for more than four weeks.
- You should definitely apply for a scholarship before the start of your studies, in order to ensure long-term support and cooperation.
- The Heinrich Böll Foundation cannot award you a scholarship, if you are studying for a one-year Masters degree and were not previously supported by the foundation.
- Applications are possible before you begin your study programme or within the first three semesters.
- Applicants must provide proof that they have been accepted as a doctoral student by an institution of higher education in Germany or an EU country (for doctoral scholarship).
For more on the eligibility criteria for all levels of scholars – undergraduate, masters and PhD kindly visit the scholarship announcement page.
How to apply for the Heinrich Boll Foundation Scholarship
The foundation only accepts online applications. The application portal will be opened about 6 weeks before the application deadlines. The application process, including the application form, will be completed online. Additional application documents will be submitted as PDF. You may visit the application portal (usually available from mid-January or mid-July) at www.boell.de/studienwerk.
I would recommend that you also read the “Heinrich Boll Foundation Scholarship Brochure” found at the scholarship announcement page.