The International Merit Scholarship is offered by the Iowa State University (Iowas State) for new undergraduate students. Iowa State is committed to enrolling diverse and talented students. Application is welcomed from students from all countries of the world.
||Level: Undergraduate|||Institution(s): Iowa State University|
||Location: USA|||Field(s): Several Fields|
||Target: All|||Deadline(s): 1 March, 1 October, 2017|
The International Merit Scholarship is awarded to students who have demonstrated strong academic achievement and are talented enough to under study in any of the prescribed course areas of Math and sciences, Arts, Extracurricular activities, Community service, Leadership, Innovation, or Entrepreneurship.
Iowa State is filled with opportunity, cutting-edge research, state-of-the-art technology, world-class facilities, and internationally renowned faculty. It’s welcoming, hospitable and friendly, thus about 4,000 international students from more than 100 countries consider Iowa State their ‘home away from home’.
The number of awards to be given is not specified but a couple of awards will be dished out. Scholarship awards are renewable for both freshmen and transfer students. Freshman recipients will be funded for a maximum of 8 semesters, or completion of the degree, whichever comes first. Transfer recipients will be funded for a maximum of 5 semesters, or completion of the degree, whichever comes first.
However, the following criteria must be met during your Iowa State career to maintain the scholarship:
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 while enrolled at Iowa State
- Continuous enrolment in a minimum of 12 semester credits each semester (summers not included)
- Only students assessed non-resident tuition are eligible for this award
- The award may only be used toward undergraduate tuition and fees
In terms of benefits, there are two International Merit Scholarship levels – Gold and Cardinal. The Gold category is worth $8,000/year (renewable) while the Cardinal is worth $4,000/year (renewable). The Freshmen and transfer applicants are eligible for both levels of awards.
Application is welcomed from incoming international freshmen applicants and international transfer applicants with fewer than 66 transferrable semester credits.
Requirements for the scholarship are as follows:
- A cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) comparable to a minimum of 3.0 out of 4.0 (B)
- The SAT is not required, but if submitted, it will be considered
- A resume or CV listing your achievements
- One letter of recommendation
- Applicants must be international students and must have completed an international application for admission
- A 500-word essay. You may write something that will help the committee get to know you better and tell us why you deserve the award, or you may answer one of the questions provided on the scholarship application form.
How to apply for the Iowa State University International Merit Scholarships
To apply for the Iowa State University International Merit Scholarship, you must submit your Undergraduate Application for Admission and all required transcripts, financial documents, and examination results. Iowa State will review your application file as part of its scholarship consideration.
Once you have submitted your application for admission, you may then complete the “International Merit Scholarship Application Form“. Please be sure to use your name exactly as it is entered on your application for admission so that Iowa State can match your scholarship application to your undergraduate application. You will use this form to upload your current resume or CV (in PDF format), type your essay, and send the letter of recommendation form to the person you have asked to provide it.
There are two scholarship application deadlines – March 1 for the Fall Term, and October 1 for the Spring Term. You can visit the scholarship announcement page for further information on the scholarship.