The OPEC Scholarship is awarded under the OPEC Fund for International Development (OFID) for developing countries. Applicants who have obtained or are on the verge of completing their undergraduate degree and wish to study for a Master’s degree are welcome to apply.
||Level: Graduate (Masters)|||Institution(s): Partner Institutions|
||Location: Any|||Field(s): Development, Energy study|
||Target: All|||Deadline(s): 1 May, 2017|
OFID scholarships will be awarded to students or candidates for master’s degree studies only in fields related to development and energy study. Applicants must be from a developing country (except OFID Member Countries). They must first obtain admission to pursue a Master’s degree studies in a relevant field of development, from any recognized university college in the world.
The subject of study must relate to OFID’s core mission, such as: economics of development (poverty reduction, energy and sustainable development), environment (desertification), or other related science and technology fields. Through its scholarship scheme, OFID aims to help highly motivated, highly driven individuals overcome one of the biggest challenges to their careers – the cost of graduate studies.
The OFID scholarships will be awarded to four candidates. The winners of the scholarship award will receive a scholarship of up to $50,000. The funds will be spread over a maximum of two years, toward the completion of a Master’s degree, or its equivalent. The tuition fees, including any supplementary examination fees, as may be required by the academic institution, will be paid by OFID directly to the academic institution. Health insurance will be paid in accordance with the institution’s own standard medical scheme. A monthly allowance to cover living expenses, books and accommodation, will be transferred to the student’s own personal bank account on a quarterly basis. Benefits also cover relocation grants and travel costs.
To be eligible to apply for the OFID Scholarship, applicants must:
- Be between the ages of 23-32 at the time of submitting his/her application.
- Have obtained or be on the verge of completing their undergraduate degree with a Baccalaureate from an accredited college/university, or its equivalent.
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 rating system, or its equivalent.
- Be matriculated at an accredited university for the upcoming academic year starting August/September 2017, and must maintain full-time status for the duration of the Master’s Degree.
- Be a national of a developing country (except OFID Member Countries)
- Select a subject of study that pertains to OFID’s core mission, such as: economics of development (poverty reduction, energy and sustainable development), environment (desertification), or other related science and technology fields.
How to apply for the OPEC Scholarships
Those interested in the OPEC Scholarship must complete an online application. Within the on-line application, applicants are expected to upload the certain required documents (see the scholarship announcement page for details). All materials including the on-line application, recommendations, and other required information must be received no later than the stipulated deadline. All materials submitted become the property of OFID and will not be returned to the applicant.
You can visit the scholarship announcement page for further information on this generous scholarship opportunity.